Heart of Brevard
175 East Main Street, Suite 200
Brevard, NC 28712
Executive Director: J. Nicole Bentley
Community Engagement Manager: Sara Jerome
Volunteer Coordinator: [email protected]
Heart of Brevard Board of Directors
- Past President Jimmy Perkins – D. D. Bullwinkels/Rocky’s
- President Billy Parrish, Consultant
- Secretary/Treasurer Sarah Hysong – Connesttee Falls Realty
- Vice President Keavy McAbee, Wolf Brew Bottle Shop and Magpie Meat and Three
Other Elected Directors:
- Mark Burrows – Blue Zones
- John Felty- Mountain Song Productions
- Curtis Greenwood – PLATT
- John Nichols – The Nichols Company
- Ryan Olson – Muddy Sneakers
- Paul Ray – City of Brevard
- Brittany Marcum – United Community Bank
- Brian Stretcher – Attorney
- Jimmy Harris – City of Brevard Mayor
- Clark Lovelace – Brevard/Transylvania Chamber of Commerce & Visitor’s Center
The Heart of Brevard is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to maintain a vital downtown. Revitalization is done through design, economic improvement, promotion, and organization. The Heart of Brevard (HOB) has a professional staff and is guided by a board of directors made up of downtown business owners and civic leaders. It is funded by a balanced mix of public and private investment, and is a program of the nonprofit Main Street America, a subsidiary of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Main Street America is a nationwide program designed to promote downtown as a vital community center. Improving economic development, strengthening public participation, and making downtown a fun place to visit are as critical to a downtown’s future as are recruiting new businesses, rehabilitating buildings, and maximizing pedestrian comfort and safety. Main Street America has been helping revitalize older and historic commercial districts for more than 35 years. Today it is a network of more than 1,600 neighborhoods and communities, rural and urban, who share both a commitment to place and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development.
As a Main Street America™ Affiliated program, the Heart of Brevard is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Affiliated programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.
Heart of Brevard is a North Carolina Main Street Community, designated by the NC Department of Commerce and Main Street & Rural Planning Center. The Heart of Brevard is charged with administering the program at the local level and building a public-private partnership to spur economic development in partnership with the state agency.